- The Tenant shall dispose of all garbage from the Premises in a proper and regular manner.
- Only small picture hooks and small nails may be used for the hanging of pictures in the Premises. ABSOLUTELY NO CEILING HOOKS, SCREWS OR DRIVE NAILS SHALL BE USED ON ANY WALL OR CEILING AREA.
- The hallways, passages and stairs of the building in which the Premises is situated shall be used for no purpose other than going to and from the Premises and the Tenant shall not encumber those areas with boxes, mats, furniture or other material or leave garbage in those areas and other areas used in common with other tenants.
- Soiled or wet footwear shall be removed at the entrance to the building in which the Premises is located and taken into the Premises.
- No structural alterations, painting, wall papering or alterations of the floor, walls, ceiling, electrical wiring or pipes shall be done by the Tenant without the prior written consent of the Landlord.
- Unless otherwise provided by the Landlord, the Tenant shall be responsible for hanging acceptable window coverings as approved by the Landlord. Acceptable window coverings are curtains and blinds only.
- Unless otherwise provided by the Landlord, the Tenant shall be responsible for purchasing and replacing all burnt out light bulbs within the Premises with the same type of bulbs as were in place at the time of the initial occupancy.
- The Tenant shall use ashtrays and other means to prevent cigarette burns or stains on carpets, walls, countertops or other surfaces.
- The Tenant shall keep the Premises free from pests and vermin and in so doing shall notify the Landlord in writing of any requirement to treat the Premises for any infestation of pests or vermin. Such request in writing shall constitute permission for the Landlord, its authorized agent and contractor to enter the Premises for the purpose of treating the Premises for pest control purposes and the Tenant shall make all necessary preparations to the Premises to allow the treatment to proceed on the date and time available to the Landlord for this purpose.
- The Tenant shall not alter the locks or install any additional locks on the doors to or within the Premises or the building in which the Premises are located, except with the prior written consent of the Landlord.
- No electric wiring or heating units shall be installed in the Premises without the prior written approval of the Landlord.
- No hazardous substances or toxic materials shall be kept on the Premises. No combustible material or flammable liquid shall be kept on the Premises except in small quantities and in containers approved for this purpose.
- No barbecues, gas, charcoal or otherwise, are allowed on the Premises without the express written consent of the Landlord.
- If the Tenant is absent from the Premises and the Premises is unoccupied for a period longer than seven (7) days, the Tenant is to arrange for regular inspection by a competent person and let the Landlord know the Tenant will be absent.
- The Tenant must obtain the written approval of the Landlord before a waterbed(s) is used on the Premises. No other liquid-filled furniture or major appliances may be used on the Premises without prior written approval of the Landlord.
- Only authorized personnel are allowed on the roof. Placing of antennas or other equipment on the roof is expressly prohibited.
- Nothing shall be thrown from or hung outside windows or balconies.
- Tampering with smoke detectors jeopardizes your safety and is prohibited. The Tenant is required to immediately notify the Landlord in writing of any malfunction of the smoke detector. The Tenant acknowledges the presence of a smoke detector in fully operational condition. The Landlord is not liable for loss or damage due to the smoke detector’s failure to operate in the Premises.
Consideration of Others
- Quiet hours are from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM.
- Noise or other nuisance which, in the opinion of the Landlord, disturbs the comfort of other tenants shall not be permitted in the Premises.
- Children shall not be allowed to play in the common halls or passageways. The providing of daycare for children or “babysitting” on a regular basis is deemed by the Landlord to be a business and is prohibited under the terms of this Agreement.
- Appointments for movement of furniture or other large items in elevators must be made in advance.
- No aquarium is permitted in the Premises without the prior written consent of the Landlord and without proof of liability insurance.
- No garage sales or auctions of any kind shall be held in or about the Premises without the prior written consent of the Landlord.
- Door to door soliciting is not permitted. Tenants are requested to notify the Landlord when solicitors appear in the building.
- The Tenant shall not place or allow to be placed bicycles, baby carriages or other personal property in public areas of the building or on sidewalks; nor shall articles be permitted to remain outside of the Tenant’s Premises or storage locker, if applicable, overnight or when not in use. Personal property left in public areas may be removed and disposed of without liability by the Landlord.
- Pets are allowed ONLY under the following conditions:
- NO PETS ARE ALLOWED IN THE Nanurjuk Tower (6-Storey Apartment Building) nor the Tukturjuk Tower (8-Storey Apartment Building).
- Pets are only allowed in Creekside Village with the express written consent of the landlord. All pets must be a spayed female or a neutered male.
- The Landlord must be notified of pets or animals which the Tenant will be keeping in the Premises and permission must be obtain to have them.
- Animals are not allowed to roam the hallways.
- All animals must be on a leash when being walked throughout the buildings and the animals are to be taken off rental property to relieve themselves. Tenant must clean up after animals; failure to do so will result in charges to the Tenant for cleaning.
Vehicles & Parking Facilities
- “Vehicle” includes passenger vehicles, motorcycles, ATV’s and snowmobiles.
- In operating any Vehicle, the Tenant will use only existing roadways and parking areas.
- Inoperable, unlicensed or uninsured Vehicles, over which the Tenant has control or ownership, parked on the Landlord’s property will be removed at the Tenant’s expense.
- The Tenant will indemnify the Landlord from any claims, charges or damages arising from the removal of a Vehicle owned by the Tenant, Additional Occupant or an invitee or guest of the Tenant.
- Recreational vehicles, campers, commercial vehicles and trailers of any kind are not permitted to park anywhere on the property.
- Parking facilities, if any, are provided at the Tenant’s own risk.
- Parking stalls shall be used only for private owned Vehicles for personal use unless otherwise agreed to in writing by the Landlord.
- The Tenant will provide the Landlord with the license number, year, color, make and model of the Vehicle to be parked in the parking stall. Vehicles must be registered at the Nunastar office.
- Block heater plug-ins are available from the Landlord at a fixed fee based on market rates. The Tenant will use block heater plug-ins, where provided, only in the manner and during the time directed by the Landlord, and not for in-car heaters.
- The Tenant shall not use the parking facilities or any other part of the Landlord’s property for washing or repairing any automobile.
- The Landlord is complying with the City of Iqaluit’s “No Smoking Bylaw #570”. There will be no smoking in common/public areas and restricted outside its properties to a distance of no less than three meters from all entrances.
- If a Tenant is locked out of the Premises, the Landlord’s staff can arrange for re-entry. There is no cost for the first re-entry; a $20 fee for the second occurrence; $50 per occurrence thereafter. If the Tenant is not known to the Landlord’s staff, the Tenant may be asked to provide picture identification. No person will be given access to a unit unless they are listed on the Unit Lease as a Tenant or Additional Occupant.
- Lost keys or access cards can be replaced at a cost of $20.00 each. If a door lock is to be replaced, the replacement cost is $250.00.
Carpet Damage Due to Cigarette Burns
- Tenants are to use ashtrays when smoking. Damage caused to carpets by cigarette burns will be assessed a charge of $25.00 for each small burn mark and $50.00 for each larger burn mark. If there are six or more burn marks on the carpet, the entire carpet will be replaced at a full cost (materials and installation on a per square foot basis).
- Tenant shall not take into or remove from the Premises household furniture and effects without first notifying the Landlord. Should an elevator be required, an appointment to use same must be made with Landlord at least one (1) week in advance.
- The Tenant shall not move heavy furniture over the floors of rooms, halls, landings or stairs so as to mark them or affect the structure of the building. For any such marking in the Premises or the common areas, Tenant shall be responsible for the cost of repairing such damage.
- The garbage disposal procedures are:
- Nanurjuk Tower (6 Storey Apartment Building) – Only secured (tied) small kitchen type garbage bags are to be placed in the garbage CHUTE inside the garbage room on each floor by the rear stairwell. All boxes and large garbage bags are to be taken to the main floor and placed inside the main floor garbage room at the bottom of the stairwell. All cardboard boxes must be flattened before placing in the garbage room. The AA-92 key will open the garbage room doors.
- Tukturjuk Tower (8 Storey Apartment Building) – Only secured (tied) small kitchen type garbage bags are to be placed in the garbage CHUTE inside the garbage room on each floor by the rear stairwell. All boxes and large garbage bags are to be taken to the main floor and placed inside the main floor garbage room which is located directly below the one on each floor. All cardboard boxes must be flattened before placing in the garbage room. The AA-92 key will open the garbage room doors.
- Creekside Village – All garbage to be taken to the garbage building between Building 353 (Block 400) and Building 352 (600 Block) of Creekside Village or to the nearest residential containers. Tenants are responsible for the removal from the property of any household furnishings such as beds, mattresses, sofas or other furniture. All garbage must be put in large black bags and placed in the identified containers. All cardboard boxes must be flattened and placed in the identified container. The City of Iqaluit will not collect any garbage that is not properly disposed of in these containers.
- The Tenant will obey any reasonable rules posted regarding the use and care of the building, parking lot, laundry room and other common facilities that are provided for the use of tenants.
- The Tenant shall not place or expose anywhere inside or outside the Premises any placard, notice or sign for advertising purposes other than on designated bulletin boards and only after the subject notice is date stamped and approved by the Landlord.
- The Tenant shall not affix to or erect upon the Premises any radio or TV antenna, tower, satellite dish or other aerial without the prior written consent of the Landlord.
- If storage space is provided by the Landlord for the use of the Tenant, the Landlord shall not be liable for loss, damage or theft of any of the Tenant’s goods stored in the storage space.
- If there is a conflict between these Rules and Regulations and the Act, the Act prevails.